Archive for the ‘Fortnite Battle Royale’ category


Fortnite BR 2.4.0 Patch Notes

UPDATE: The release of Patch V.2.4.0 has been delayed so we can further improve stability and hammer out some remaining bugs. Once we have an updated ETA, we’ll be sure to let you know.

Hey Fortnite players,
You’ve probably run into a few issues playing Fortnite this past week. We’ve since solved a lot of those issues, however, we’re still working to solve a couple of building-related problems. We know this is affecting a lot of you and are working to resolve this as quickly as we can. We greatly appreciate all of your patience and understanding. As a token of our appreciation, here are some goodies! Find out more here.

On top of that, V.2.4.0 brings in bug fixes for Battle Royale and some fun new additions for Save the World. Amaze your friends with stories of past adventures around the Cozy Campfire, or try out the new Expedition types!

Fortnite 2.4.0 Patch Notes

Minigun
ES_FNBR_Social_MiniGun.jpg
Introducing the Minigun! Control the battlefield with sheer firepower with this new addition to Battle Royale.

Cozy Campfire
FN_Social_Cozy-Campfire.jpg
Heal yourself and allies with the all-new Cozy Campfire addition to Save the World. Stay warm and healthy as you share stories with your friends around it.
BATTLE ROYALE
WEAPONS
MiniGun
Found in Chests and Supply drops
Fires almost as quickly as SMG
Uses Light ammo
Suppressed Pistol
Reduced drop chances of Epic variant by 20%.
Reduced drop chances of Legendary variant by 33%.
GAMEPLAY
Added “Controller Auto Run” option.
This enables/disables the auto run feature on controllers.
Auto run, which was introduced in v2.3.0, is enabled by double clicking the left thumb stick on controllers.
Bug Fixes
Fixed a few landscape areas that were barely below floor height before.
This sometimes caused the majority of a structure to appear underground.
Players can now shoot through the Soccer goal.
GENERAL
Added “3D Resolution” slider to Video options on PC and Mac.
This new preference allows you to set the resolution of the 3D world, without affecting the user interface.
The range goes between 640×360 and your selected Display Resolution. Using a lower 3D Resolution may greatly improve frame rate.
When selecting an overall Quality option, an appropriate 3D Resolution will be chosen automatically.
Bug Fixes
Fixed a client crash that would get triggered by an audio cue.
Fixed an issue preventing players from unmuting other players in the lobby screen.
Fixed an issue causing an incorrect character model to display on the lobby screen.
Fixed an issue causing entire walls to highlight when looking at a door.
PERFORMANCE
Bug Fixes
Fixed client hitching which could occur when the Chug Jug was found in game.
Made engine performance improvements to how we process collision overlap events.
Reduced network bandwidth usage when players are walking, and when they are standing still
UI
Spectating

Added spectator count UI to the HUD. This appears in game as a small eye in the lower left corner when there are active spectators. Better off not knowing? There is also an option to disable the feature under game options labeled “Show Spectator Count”.

Bug Fixes
Removed an unnecessary button prompt on the left side of the news widget.
Added a border highlight around item shop tiles when selecting them on consoles.
Fixed an issue allowing the old trap picker radial menu to open. This radial menu is no longer used for selecting traps.
Fixed an issue causing weapon icons to not display properly on the hotbar in some cases.
Fixed a few spots on the map and minimap that were rendered as black spots.
Fixed the floor under the hero not showing up when previewing emotes in the locker or item shop
Fixed emotes being offset if they were viewed in succession.
ART/ANIMATION
Optimized the colored rarity effect on weapons and items to improve overall performance.
Colors may look slightly different.
Bug Fixes
Corrected the drinking speed animation for the 15-second Chug Jug item.
AUDIO
Bug Fixes
Improved spatialization of loot chest audio by increasing the audio volume if you’re aiming at them.
Removed the static audio from living room televisions.
Fixed a directional audio issue when another player switches to a shotgun.
Removed footstep audio from dance emotes.
WORLD
Bug Fixes
Fixed the missing collision on a window asset in Tilted Towers.
Fixed the landscape appearing jagged at medium-range distances.
Fixed flickering artifacts that are sometimes seen on the rivers while riding the Battle Bus.
Fixed an issue causing two items to spawn in the same location near Lonely Lodge.
Fixed some seams in the terrain south of Anarchy Acres.
Disabled the collision on the vines in Moisty Mire.
KNOWN ISSUES
Problems building on consoles.
Visual building selector issue that sometimes makes the wrong structure type appear in the UI.
SAVE THE WORLD
HIGHLIGHTS
Context Sensitive menus are live!
More options are available when interacting with items in the Hero Squad, Survivor Squads, and Armory. Schematics and people can be directly added to the Collection Book now!

Cozy Campfire
All allied players and Defenders in a 3×3 tile area around the Campfire are healed over time. Lasts until the fire has consumed its Durability. The Cozy Campfire trap schematic is available through the Event Store.
Two New Expedition Types
People Runs: A free to run expedition that lets you gather a small amount of People (resource).
Trap Runs: These expeditions will let you gather traps through expeditions.
Balancing changes on some existing expeditions.
Improved rewards, with slightly lower power costs.
We’re continuing to iterate to make this better! Please tell us what you think!
HEROES
Bug Fixes
The Anti-Material Charge hitbox will more reliably hit enemies in front of the Outlander on startup.
Fixed the healing visual effects not properly being removed when a player is healed from BASE M.D.
Additionally, the healing effect is now periodic instead of being applied as soon as you touch the affected BASE.
MISSIONS
Bug Fixes
Husks from encampments will no longer spawn under the terrain.
UI
Bug Fixes
Fixed problems working with the in-zone transfer UI for severely overflowed Storm Shield storage.
Please note: In a near future release, it will not be possible to claim expedition rewards while Storm Shield storage is overflowed. Respecting the storage limit is important to protecting player items.
Updated the frag grenade tooltip to reflect the recent changes to Keep Out and Cluster Bomb.
Cluster Bomb: Releases 6 cluster explosions around the impact site that will each do 25% of the original damage.
Keep Out!: Leaves a residual energy field, doing 15% of the initial grenade blast damage every 1 second, over 10 seconds.
Update the Cardio Feedback perk tooltip to properly display the base healing amount of 15 instead of 13.
Fixed many incorrect tooltips
GENERAL
Removed a few llamas from the store rotation: Double Llama, Fiver Llama, Six Pack Llama, Niner Llama.
The 3, 7 and 10 versions of this Llama still exist. This was done to focus on a smaller number of variants of this llama type.
Rebalanced the amount of starting ammunition for ranged weapons when picked up in the world.
KNOWN ISSUES
Players are sometimes unable to select card choice when opening an Upgrade Llama.
Items in the collection book cannot be evolved after leaving a zone.
When inspecting an item located in the players inventory the display image may not appear properly.


Fortnite Battle Royale Guide for Beginners

Where do you want to start learning and improving your Fortnite Battle Royale game? Maybe you would like to be a better builder, maybe better at combat. Perhaps you want to improve your looting or world navigation. With these guides you will be able to get ahead of your opponents and better understand the game.

Beginners Guide to Fortnite Battle Royale


Fortnite Double Pump Action Shotgun trick and weapon switch speed

Large streamers finally discovered double pump in Fortnite Battle royale, three months after the games release. This has irreversibly changed the meta of the game. Now everyone wants pump shotguns and everyone wants to +forward into opponents faces. The change on voice in squads with randoms is amazing – players getting two pumps then making comments that would lead one to believe the game is in the bag. Here is one of the first mentions of the phenomenon on reddit – posts about two shotguns were quite frequent after this.

Daequan is credited with being the “first” to mainstream this, however players have been commenting on reddit since the games launch about it in one way or another. As a player who used this before it mainstreamed the difference is night and day. If you think it is good now, imagine what it was like when literally noone was using it. In around ~7 days /played I encountered two players doing it.

Fortnite double pump shotgun

The premise is simple and I have been using it, for more than just shotguns, since the games release. Some background is required to undersand how the double pump shotgun “trick&quot” works in FNBR. Fortnite weaponswitch time is quite fast, faster than the refire rate of the non-automatic weapons. This means that you are not at the mercy of the refire speed when using a slow firing weapon, which is typically how these weapons are balanced. Low rate of fire to punish missing and balance out high damage. At the very least with fast switch players can pull out another gun in place of nothing (reload time). The opportunity this offers seems lost on streamers and youtubers who are now pumping (pun intended) out tutorials for “How to double pump shotgun in fortnite” while overlooking that this applies to a large selection of Fortnites weapons. Or that they have been doing the same forever with sniper plus any other weapon.



Because the Fortnite weapon switch speed is fast the refire time can become the weapon switch speed when the refire time is slower than switch. This means that the low rate of fire weapons become much faster. The pump shotguns are likely the most popular because they hit for “the most” and are also relatively easy to land some damage with. You really only need one pump and another weapon to make use of the weapon switch speed in a meaningful way. Pump shotgun to open a fight into assault rifle, auto pistol or smg (of decent quality) is perfectly acceptable in order to avoid being a sitting duck. To be completely fair swapping to a high rate of fire weapon after hitting a solid pump shotgun hit is probably more reliable play anyway, provided you are in sub machinegun range. Think hittng rail or rockets and finishing with lightning gun in quake.

The slow fire rate weapons benefit from fast switching with higher rof weapons benefiting less. At some point it becomes a waste of time to switch between weapons to use the pump shotgun – switching to an smg (highest rof) for one bullet then back is an overall DPS decrease. Some examples that are good.

Weapon combos that benefit from swapping back and forth: Pump shotgun to pump shotgun. Pump shotgun to tactical shotgun. Pump shotgun to revolver. Pump shotgun to Burst Assault rifle (one burst). Pump shotgun to assault rifle for a few rounds. The revolver can replace the starting pump in any of these and for this combo it may be better to use the revolver for opening shot then sticking to the other weapon.

Fortnite tips.

Some weapon combos benefit from starting on the pump and switching after landing significant damage. The low firerate could be negated by peeking corners until landing damage then swapping. Pump shotgun to Sub machinegun/assault sub machinegun/ Silenced sub machinegun. The assault rifle could also fall into this category once good opening damage has been landed. The higher rate of fire is potentially better for finishing. This means if you open a fight, land a high (70+) pump or tactical shotgun hit you only need to deal the remaining 30. Using and smg or assault rifle gives players have much higher rate of fire, meaning a single miss is less impactful. This was a common idea in older arena shooters.

Why this is interesting for shotguns, specifically pump action


How to double pump shotgun in fortnite battle royale.

It is very easy to use two shotguns. First you need to find two – a pump and tactical shotgun is a viable option until you find a second pump. Put both the weapons in slots that have easy to use binds, for example weapon slots 2 and 3. When you engage open with the higher hitting weapon for maximum front load. After the first shot swap to the second weapon and shoot, as you shoot swap back to the first weapon straight away and shoot again.. swapping back to the second weapon as you do so. Your character will diligently swap between weapons without playing the pump animation.

If the default weapon binds are not good then you could try binding individual weapons to mousewheel. Bind slot 2 to up and slot 3 to down. You can now scroll up/down to pick weapons 2 and 3 while shooting. It is a good idea to get used to individual weapon binds anyway so removing next/previous weapon from the mousewheel is good anyway.

The two main offenders for exploits are the pump shotgun and revolver. This is because weapon swap stops the refire animation from playing.

Does it matter if the shotguns are grey (common) or green (uncommon)? The quality of the shotgun barely matters. The grey pump shotgun deals 90 damage and the green deals 95. With 2.5* headshot modifier this gives 225 and 237 for full headshots. Less than 5% difference. Don’t sweat a grey pump.

Why fast switch is interesting for other weapons – RPG – sniper, etc
Fast weapon switch is interesting for other weapons, although not because it circumvents the refire animation.

Drawbacks to double pump – mechanical skill requirement – losing an inventory slot

Other mixtures that allow for interesting play – high hitting -> high rof low damage (rl/rail -> lg)

Firstly, in order to

Fortnite Double Pump Macro

Using a macro to double pump is not required. The action is gated by weapon switch speed which is (human speed wise) quite slow so macros do not make this more viable. Having said that it is easy enough to create a macro for double pump shotguns with most modern mouse or keyboard software. Logitech, Razer, Zowie, ASUS, Corsair, etc. There are two ways to go about this. Either create a macro that uses specific weapon slots or use next and previous weapon.

Is this balanced – can the weapons work without it, currently gives interesting mix, without much more limiting on weapons so maybe good


Fortnite Battle Royale Weapon Bloom Mechanics

In Fortnite BR the inside of the crosshair arms denote “bloom” – the circle where bullets can land. This changes with movement, crouching, shooting. The usual suspects that lower weapon inaccuracy in FPS. In order to hit 100% this circle needs to cover the target 100%. The centerpoint of the crosshair is meaningless for the AR/bloom weapons. Bullets do not appear to favor the center more than outside parts of the bloom circle. A better way to describe this might be the cone of fire – however the fortnite BR community seem to have attached the term bloom to everything related to weapon inaccuracy.

Technically “bloom” is the aim area shrinking or expanding based on player behavior. Bloom simulates recoil in Fortnite, however beyond controlling the size of the shooting area (minimise bloom) players cannot control the recoil like in CounterStrike and similar games. There is no recoil pattern to speak of. Some weapons like the shotgun and revolver do “kick” like recoil but this is very minimal compared to bloom.

Bloom applies to the following weapons : Sub machine gun (SMG), Assault SMG, Silenced SMG, Automatic Pistol, Silences Pistol, Revolver, Assault Rifle (AR), Burst Assault Rifle, Scoped Assault Rifle. The scoped AR is a stand out because its bloom is not messaged with the crosshair while zoomed, however it does seem to offer less bloom than the other weapons while not being 100% accurate.

The effective range of weapons in Fornite BR is controlled by bloom as they do not suffer from damage falloff. Bloom is the primary mechanic in . Sniper rifles are 100% accurate but are projectiles.

Fortnite BR Weapon Bloom

Fortnite Bloom for weapons

In Fortnite the crosshair messages effective range of the guns. This is best visualised with an example.

The picture below is taken from a frame of thisvideo. The player posted it believing they were on point for the shot.

what is fortnite bloom

At that range, with the target taking up 20-30% of the circle you are not going to hit all shots. In fact the target it so small in relation to the bloom area that you are unlikely to hit many.

More Fortnite Fortnite tips and tricks.

Its not that you should build. If you want to hit all those shots you need to engage at a closer range. This is the primary difference between the AR weapon rarity. The amount of bloom allowing for engagement at longer ranges.

Somewhat unintuitively aiming for headshots with the center dot will lower your accuracy since there will be a large section of the “bloom area” above the players head.


Fortnite Battle Royale Weapon Guide

This is a stub for an upcoming article

Fornite br weapon bible – FNBR gun guide

Are you looking for a Fortnite Battle Royale Weapon Guide? Perhaps you want to improve your Fortnite weapon skills with weapon stats and information. Whatever the reason the goal here is to give you as much information relating to FN weapons as well as some use cases for each.

 

>Note about this being different to PVE/Save the world

Please note that this information does not apply to PVE/Save the world gameplay. Weapon stats there are variable and to my knowledge not in line with what we for Fortnite Battle Royale Weapons. Even the weapon handling is different in PVP so using the PVE game to practice gunplay is not super useful.



> Weapon Guide

 

Fornite Weapon rarity / quality

Fornite weapons are color coded to denote their quality. This is a throw back to RPG color coding on weapon tiers.

More Fortnite beginner Guides.

Standard (White), Uncommon (green), Rare (blue), Epic (purple), Legendary (Gold).

 

> Weapon Stats

 

In Fortnite Battle Royale weapon stats are fixed. In the PVE game they change based on schematics, survivors and crafting, however in BR they remain the same across rounds and time. They cannot be improved via pickups, attachments or other player buffs.

 

Weapons have a number of stats that are viewable from the inventory screen. Some of these are carry over from the PVE game and can be ignored as they either do not change between weapons or are simply irrelevant. The most obvious that changes between weapons of the same type but different qualities is the damage. This ranges from 32 for a white Assault rifle to 39 for a yellow SCAR.

 

What is important

Damage numbers / Damage chart – weapon dmg

Fortnite weapon Accuracy

Fortnite weapon locations

Useful ranges (fortnite weapon ranges)

Best Weaponname

Best weaponname fortnite

fortnite weapons battle royale

fortnite battle royale weapon list

fortnite weapons tier list

fortnite weapons list

fortnite battle royale weapon stats

all weapons in fortnite battle royale

all guns in fortnite battle royale

fortnite battle royale weapon colors

 

Commonly refered to as

 

> Weapon mechanics

 

>Headshots

Headshot Damage

Headshot Percentage

 

> Weapon Switching

 

>SMG

 

>ASMG

 

>Revolver

 

>Automatic Pistol

 

>Pump Shotgun

 

>Tactical Shotgun

 

>Assault Rifle (M4)

+SCAR

 

>Burst Assault Rifle

 

> Auto Sniper

 

> Bolt Sniper

 

> Grenades

 

> Rocket Launcher / RPG

 

> Grenade Launcher

 

>Best weapons/guns

 

> Weapon Skins

 

> Drop rates / where can you get weapons

Shotguns not in chests?


Stop jumping during combat in fortnite br..

.. or at the very least consider the range at which you are doing it.

Fortnite jumping in combat with shotguns

Players in many games jump by default during combat, usually with the intention to throw off their opponents aim. A common thread on this sub is the nerfing of jump. I don’t want to go down that discussion path but do want to draw your attention to an important point players miss. This may not apply to console quite as much I have never played an FPS/TPS there.

You don’t have to jump and jumping may be making you easier to hit with the fortnite weapons.



When players jump they take a very predictable and easily traceable path. This path making hitting them easier. The initial launch might throw off player aim but the resulting path is long enough for good players to adjust and hit you. Chaining jumps amplifies this. Now you may personally feel that you cannot hit players who are jumping, but players who can aim will be able to track you. You are lowering the likely hood of bad players kill you and raising the chance of good players killing you.

Do you need more Fortnite help.

On the flip side if you are a good player and jump in this way you may feel that it is exceptionally beneficial as your opponents have trouble shooting you. Due to the nature of matchmaking (or lack of) in fortnite if you are good you are likely playing against potatoes most games. This means that the “tactic” of jumping to avoid being hit is working, not because it is a good thing to do and throwing off peoples aim, but because the players you are playing against are not good at tracking/aiming.

They are players you would be beating anyway, and if you come up against players who can aim you are helping them. Jumping adds another “level” of RNG as you can never know your opponents skill. Statistically if it throws off aim in a greater portion of the player population it is better to do, but it will cause fights versus more competent players to be stacked against you. What should you do?

Are there times and places to jump in combat? For sure. Throw a jump in now and then. At longer ranges the amount offset jumping gives might make you harder to hit, or at the very least not hurt.

Building over your opponent then jumping off the ramp to shotgun them is another “bad” habit. If you are two floors up and you jump you are simply extending the amount of air time, which is easily tracked and giving them more opportunity to kill you. If you want to build up and then drop it probably better to just walk of the edge.

So what is the point? Consider when you are jumping. Consider that it may be easier for other players to hit you when you jump. Range is an important factor here – at longer ranges the distance up/down traveled to the amount of mouse movement your opponent needs to track will probably make it worthwhile.

This thread (http://bit.ly/2jC0Tic) prompted this post. And a scenario that played out earlier this week in game. A player at mid range running perpendicular to my view jumping continually. The first two jumps I whiffed because I tried to track him, then I adjusted, put the crosshair at the top of the jump arch and pinged him easily for the next three jumps.




Fortnite armor / Shields (Battle Royale, not PVE)

 

The fact that you can fight against shielded players and win, only to realize you have no shields to pick up off them really hurts the need to be aggressive or engage with shielded players. Full post here

Because you cannot tell if players are shielded that statement makes little sense. You cannot know if your opponent has shields, or in the vast majority of situations you cannot know until you engage. The outliers here are when you are in a house and hear your opponent drinking the potion. Beyond that it cannot even be inferred – to play “safe” you need to assume that every player you engage has 200hp. You cannot engage shielded players thinking you will gain anything from them because you cannot know they are shielded until you hit them.

Shield and armor in fortnite BR

How do shields work in fortnite? Where do I get armor in Fortnite Battle Royale are totally valid questions for new players as the system is not that straight forward and has been tacked onto since the games release in various ways.

Having said all that you don’t “only to realize you have no shields to pick up” because noone was ever thinking that.. because we know how shields work. They don’t drop.

More Fortnite Guides.



I don’t think the tell should change because the benefit is not that large.

A player can find a SCAR but be outplayed by an enemy with a basic shotgun for example.

I disagree. If you land opening damage you can negate 50-100 shield before your opponent can react, either negating the shield and having a fight from an even (yet likely still in your favor) or outright killing them.

A basic shotgun is quite strong in relation to the health pool provided you setup correctly. A better comparison would be a grey AR vs SCAR – the AR can still win but toe to toe one is simply worse.

It adds massive gaps in player health

It does not add “massive” gaps. A single 50shield is negated with ~one bullet. Two shields are negated by two or a headshot. You are now fighting on even footing. You need to open the fight in a manner that allows you to give initial damage and remove any health advantage they have. You need to not commit to fights you cannot back out of if you are unsure of their stack.

The “solution” to shield is landing opening damage in a manner that allows you to kill the other player. If you are trading shots you are either 1) wasting shield or 2) dying because they had more stack/better aim.

To me, the entire shield system is flawed and the one in PUBG is much more fair and balanced.

It is different. PUBG is not “fair” as such either. My understanding is that it is a flat damage reduction on incoming damage depending on location hit. The quick google I did has lvl1 30%, lvl2 40%, lvl3 55%. I don’t know how the durability plays in here with how many hits you can take. Also I don’t know how many “fights” a piece can last durability wise.

For BR economy having armor drop makes a degree of sense as the game progresses. Fortnite br weapons accumulate to the end of the game and shields do not. Simple.

However from the perspective of “fair” the current shield make more sense. An equipable item with durability to last a decent number of fights is inherently more powerful than a single use item that is stripped through damage. Even for a single fight PUBG style leads to more uneven fights.

Lets explore this for comparisons sake. We will use 50% as the absorption for the PUBG style item.

100/100 is 200 health 100 + 50% absorption is 200 health for a full health bar

Both players have the same “starting” health.

In a fight with the current system when 100 shield damage is dealt we know that this damage (likely) does not need to be given again in this particular engagement. This is because the chance of my opponent having another shield pot in their inventory is relatively low. Particularly in squads where shield tends to be spread around. After shield is gone it is not coming back.

Under the PUBG system my opponent can take 100 damage, be on 50 health (100*/.5) and then heal and then make use of their armor again, extending their health pool further over the course of a single engagement.



From the perspective of “fair” and “balanced” the current setup is “better” because it cannot extend the health pool further after healing. If a player shoots you and removes your armor it is done. It is no longer a concern. With PUBG beyond needing to take the unknown factor of the armor into account (taking fights that you can close after dealing opening damage) as well as taking these fights in a manner where the player does not have time to heal up is making things even less “fair”. It forces close range encounters even more than the current setupid.

I agree that dropping armor/shields of some variety would be great. If absorption is lowered to 40% the whole shield would not be used on 100 health, leaving some in the pool. This would also weaken players health pool when full – 100/100@40% is ~170 health with ~30 shield dropped. This would have other interesting side effects like making shields that are used on lower health not impacting the players health as much. 50/50 would drop around 15 shield. Using shields on low health would not grant +100.

This would still suffer from bandaging in fight (to add more health to use shield) but it would not be as open ended as what PUBG durability seems to offer.


Fortnite Weapons and weapon ranges

Lets talk about ranges and what can be used at different ranges. Rather than quantifying what is best used we are going to look at what becomes ineffective.

 

  1. Everything.
  2. SMG ASMG Autopistol (maybe viable@low rof?). Somewhere between 2 and 3 the auto shotgun becomes useless
  3.  Pump shotgun
  4. Magnum, you could use at longer than this but it is starting to become very unreliable combined with low rof. So perhaps this could be considered an “opener”.
  5. ARs – also debateable and the better quality ones will perform better at longer range where as the grey M4 might stop working reliably between 3 and 4.

Beyond this range the scoped weapons are required as well as (potentially) your enemy being unaware you are aiming at them while sitting still.

Ranges are defined by a weapons placing in an effective range hierarchy. This means that if the “close range” weapon is effective to 50m (an exaggeration) and other weapons are balanced around this then the “close range” weapon is a weapon that is viable to 50m. This is a decision the devs can make in relation to the scale of the game. For example in fortnite, if we were to have a weapon whose effective range is 5m but the entire map is open fields the weapon is essentially useless. This is what we see in the SMG – besides its low damage its range is also very close for “high” DPS.

Fortnite Weapon Ranges



More Fortnite tips.

So close range is a mixture of weapon performance as well as the flavor of the rest of the game. The environments, player movement speed and other factors determin.

Comparatively speaking the pump shotgun range is close, compared to the scoped weapons or the better quality assault rifles. We are not interested in what the shotgun meme is here, but more the overall breakdown of ranges in the game and what niches different weapons can fill.

The above break down is rough, but it is to demonstrate weapon grouping. I am aware of the RNG aspects of the different levels of weapons as well as this changing their ranges, however we are looking at this from a “can I use this weapon at a given range” rather than “I am going to reliably kill my opponent at this range”.

At the first post every fortnite weapon is usable, except the snipers. Not every weapon is ideal but they can be used. This is essentially the problem with SMGs, they can be used at this range but are never (?) ideal. As range increases options decrease. While shotguns may be viable at longer than expected ranges if their effectiveness was to be nerfed via range we simply end up with more weapons clumped together at the closer ranges.

One interesting aspect of this and why the projectile sniper is good is that there is also a max range cap unless players are standing dead still. This is important otherwise the effective weapon mix is skewed further towards long range weapons.

I am not going to make an argument for the shotgun continuing to be effective at the range it is, more point out how if its effective range is lowered we simply end up with even more weapons clumped around the shorter ranges.

Most of this is quite cut and dried. Assault rifles out perform shot guns at longer ranges and snipers out perform assault rifles at still longer ranges. There are a few exceptions that add flavor. One example is the automatic pistol – this is a trade off with the auto shotgun at closer ranges. Missing one shot from the auto pistol is not super important, where as missing one from the auto shotgun can be. This would be similar to the auto vs pump shotguns if their effective ranges were the same with different damage amounts.

Coming from arenafps I feel that close range is lacking in flavor but this is mainly due to the lack of variety in the weapons. For example I would like to see a more traditional style rocket launcher, rather than the super low ROF, massive explosion weapon we have.




Fortnite Streaming/Gameplay Analysis Take 1

Fortnite BR is a departure from my usual quake/ut content. It is my first taste of the genre because the underlying games are not that interesting to me. Fortnite got my attention because of the art style and more arcadey combat so have been playing it since it was added to the base game. It is now free which has resulted in quite an active playerbase, very good for Australia/oceania as we now have our own servers and active community, which is important to me as playing with lag is not interesting. Have plans for a BR as a gametype article at some point but for now.. A streamer called Rhinocrunch seems decent at the game and has been trying to get a solo squad win – queue as solo in squad without checking fill.

Towards the end he sums up the reason he lost:
“I don’t know what I could have done, Its like RNG. If I would have just had, maybe, more shields and more meds, I think I would have been alright, honestly.”

If you have read my content you probably understand my stance on this, even though I have not written specifically about it. Decision making and playing a +ve game over relying on aim. A huge part of this is knowing when to be aggressive and when not to be aggressive, I am talking it. Lets look at this guys video and see if we can work out where he went wrong. Jumping into the action at 12:26 after he cleans up in the spawn town and proceeds towards the circle. Timestamp 12:25.

I have watched a few of his clips on youtube and not seen him mention “My primary goal is to play aggressively”. The below is based on the assumption that his goal is to win.

12:25 – After leaving the landing zone town with a fistfull of excellent weapons (Purple scoped AR, Blue AR, Blue GL) he comes across two players at reasonably long range. They are unaware that he is watching them and decides to fire on their position from long range, in the open with his scoped AR. If the goal is to win this is a questionable decision. Firstly it is a 2v1 encounter in a location where you cannot “cut” one of the players off from the other to kill. At a basic level it is a open shooting gallery where you are hedging your accuracy+weapons vs their accuracy+weapons, but there are two players, so even if their aim is less than yours, the amount lower it needs to be in order for you to roll them is significant.

Continuing a fight, even in a 1v1 encounter after missing the initial shots as you lose the element of surprise and opening damage. The fight changes from you dealing opening damage (ahead on damage) and then a kill (perhaps with damage taken) to trade damage from the same health points.

So the taking of this fight is questionable. If the fight setup was different perhaps it would have been acceptable. At a closer range the initial shots have more chance (easier to aim, less effected by spread vs target size, maybe damage falloff?) to down one of the targets, leaving you in a 1v1 with the remaining player. You could also say that he missed his initial shots but with the moving targets we were looking at the maximum effective range of the weapon he had equipped so were less likely to take them down quickly.

Allowing the enemy players to return fire rather than high tailing it after whiffing his initial shots was a mistake if shields were super important, or at all in my opinion. The 2v1 odds as mentioned before are quite bad in a direct conflict type scenario like this. At this point of the game it is unlikely that you will stumble upon extra shield potions, so conserving what you have is a great idea. Taking that bullet and burning the shield potion was a bad move. Rhino is obviously aware that shields are important as his closing remarks focus on them.

fortnite BR

So after reviewing how could we play this with a better outcome? The first is to simply avoid the conflict itself – go west around the hill and closer to Retail Row, before heading towards the circle again. If engaging is the goal, and there are arguments for/against this, then moving to the house on the hill before engaging is probably the best option, which is what Rhino ended up doing. He got two knock downs while taking more damage. This would put you closer (more reliable first kill) to the two enemy players while also taking you away from the open area which was key to them hitting your shield the first time. So if this had been the first choice he would have preserved the shield while also engaging from a less vulnerable position that was closer to the enemy players.

Sure, if you picked up 2-3 shield pots you could take more encounters, but you did not pick them up and playing to what you are dealt is important. Most people, myself included can stand to look at their decision making and polish their game from that perspective rather than writing losses off to RNG, bad team mates and the like. Not to say all situations are winable but approaching them from the best direction for what you want to accomplish is important.

Edit : About a day after posting this it dawned on me that more needed to be added in relation to RNG. This comment could also be phrased as “If I had hit those initial shots then I would have gone much better”. And this is correct, however the goal is to hone ones decision making and positioning in order to lower random or less reliable aspects of a game. Blaming aim or not hitting shots is similar to this. Of course there are bad situations (like the end of the video) where you are in a terrible location and have very little choice in the matter, but this is not what we are talking about. Yet even in those situations one could review a game and go “well maybe if I did X things would have turned out different”. Where X is not “If I had hit 12 headshots in a row”